Friday, January 7, 2011

Super-Gay Profile - Nicki Noelle

Hey folks!

Say hello to a brand-new, unrevealed character in the form of Nicki Noelle!


Nicki Noelle used to live a life of danger, adventure, and intrigue back when she was the saucy sidekick to a handsome secret agent. But when this ex "Bond girl's" partner in super-secret justice fell in love with her and, due to her status as a lesbian, she could not love him back, she fled and found solace in the employment of the Bobslist Adventure team. Nicki can build and fix all sorts of interesting devices (having much experience providing a secret agent with all of his needed gadgetry). She is a super-intellect and sharp as a whip, rough and tough but still quite likable.

About the design: Nicki (whose name was Nickie during the initial sketches) was a bit of a challenge for me. I realize that I don't sympathize much with lesbians for various reasons so it was hard for me to come up with one that was not a gross, unpleasant stereotype. With the help of my friend Reed Bond, I realized that I didn't really need to stick with a stereotype to make her work. He helped me find inspiration in positive lesbian role models like Ellen DeGeneres and others, and I think it worked out well.

I have not designed Nicki's past secret agent look yet (probably something a little sexier and more classily-dressed) but look forward to that soon. ;D

Alrighty, tomorrow we will focus on Ross's unpleasant boyfriend, Brian Goddard. Be there or be straight!

~Drew

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you found some sympathy for lesbians, we're not all terrible people, haha! I'm really interested to see how this whole story turns out. I like this character already (not just because she has the same name as my girlfriend...!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that I don't like lesbians, it's just that I don't know many of them so it's hard for me to put myself in their shoes. I think Nicki will be a bit of a challenge for me, but that's okay. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete